September 18, 2010

White Deer

Right across from the entrance to our residential village (subdivision) gate is a large parcel of undeveloped land. When I walk or drive past it, I can sometimes see or hear interesting fowl, either flying freely or in their cages. I'd really like to go in and see this private zoo, but that seems unlikely to happen; I am told, but cannot verify, that the owner of this land is somewhat eccentric and quite solitary, not interested in sharing his live little treasures.

A few days ago, I drove past and was delighted to spot a group of deer. Not only that, but after stopping the car, I saw that they were white and I couldn't recall ever seeing white deer before.  I can't be sure, of course, but a little internet research makes me think this is a rare breed of Seneca White Deer from Seneca County, NY, (although perhaps not purebreds) and I can only wonder how - or why - they ever got to the outskirts of Manila!

Postscript: Thank you to visitor Coy who probably correctly identified these animals as fallow deer (Dama dama). White is a real color variety, not albino.

 
Manila, 2010

For more Camera Critters around the world, click on the link.

23 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Aren't they amazing? And beautiful!!

Of course, I had to Google "white deer" because these deer of your neighbor's are obviously not albino. Nor, it seems, are the ones in New York. An interesting case of artificial selection, with the white recessive gene.

Not that I know anything about genetics, but Wikipedia might soon make experts of everyone!!

Kay
Alberta, Canada

Jim said...

They do look amazing.

tapirgal said...

Nice layout, nice photos. I saw a pic of a deer around here that was partially white, and someone else told me about it. I think white in deer is an aberration and can probably be bred for like white tigers, which does not make them a species. I really know nothing about white deer, though.

Jeannette StG said...

Amazing these white deer. I looked up "where" you came from, and my goodness I think you travelled tp more places than I have!
Can't remember if I told you, I'm Dutch, born in Indonesia, and have lived 20+ years in Los Angeles. In our time in Europe, we traveled East Eur. extensively.

Love the bamboo bridge you showed. My son lived in Nanchang, China for 3 years, and is now trying out Shen-shen (close to Hongkong, on the mainland).
Like with other things, love for travel seems to extend to the next generations:)

Joanne said...

oh, they are gorgeous! What a fantastic view to have from your house....

Anonymous said...

Do you think they are for hunting or are going to hold some vegetations down?
Great photos ;-)

Unknown said...

When I read the title I could never imagine they were SO white! Have never seen these and they look beautiful.

Anonymous said...

those shots are delightful!

Brad Myers said...

I agree with the first comment they are not albino nor are they Piebalds but they are white deer, I would love to know more about them. Thanks for sharing.

Eds said...

Deers for me are one of the peaceful animals of the forest.. love it.:)

Kcalpesh said...

Awesome!! Nice captures!! I had captured a few of those some time back!!

Pixellicious Photos

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

oh gosh, they are simply beautiful

jabblog said...

All deer are beautiful but these are really special. How delightful!

VP said...

You always find something that leave me very, very surprised! Excellent post with unique images...

Mel_Cole said...

Oh wow, I have seen spotted and reindeer but I haven't seen white deer. Thanks for sharing this.

My Camera Critters here

EG CameraGirl said...

Hey, Francisca! I bet you'll eventually meet the owner of this tiny preserve so you can find out all about the white deer and THEN tell us. You can do it, really you can. :)

Dina said...

How wonderful!

Coy Hill said...

Hi and thanks for the comment at Country Captures. The series of whitetail buck images were shot at dawn, when the sun was still very low over the horizon, just the same as at sunset.

I think that your deer are white fallow deer.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

they are not albinos? The skin would make a nice coat for Lady gaga. LOL

eileeninmd said...

They are beautiful, we do not see white deer here only the white tailed deer. Great photos!

Kaori said...

I thought at first it was a goat! I've never seen a white deer either. They're lovely!

Michael said...

Nice creatures. They look like they are sporting antennae rather than horns.

lina@happy family said...

I've never seen white deer before. Thanks for dropping by...