November 18, 2010

I is for Important Institution

Today over at Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday, the letter of the week is I, and I was inspired to take this instant to tell you a little about an important institution.

The Louise Weiss building in Strasbourg, France, houses the official seat of the European Parliament. This important institution of democracy is the only directly-elected body of the European Union, with 736 members representing all 27 EU countries. It plays an active role in drafting legislation that impacts on the daily lives of its more than 490 million citizens in areas such as environmental protection, consumer rights, equal opportunities, transport, and the free movement of workers, capital, services and goods.

I took these two photos of this contemporary institution inaugurated in 1999 when we drove by on a winter afternoon some years ago.


  Strasbourg, 2006

The EP also works in Brussels (Belgium) and Luxembourg.

17 comments:

Marlee said...

Interesting post. Love the architecture on this important institution.

Kay L. Davies said...

It's quite lovely, isn't it. And certainly Important!!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

cieldequimper said...

Cool post. I rowed past it once. When I was young(er).

Lola said...

Such interesting buildings - great architcture!

XOXO Lola:)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love the institution building.
so well done.

Unknown said...

This building is great! I especially like the top shot.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

What a beautiful building...

Love the photos....

Unknown said...

I love the building. Thanks for sharing.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Institution is a good letter "I" word! Your photos are wonderful..the building is vert modern and impressive!

Judie said...

You always have such interesting posts, and your photos are wonderful!

Andrea said...

I saw this parliament building at dusk when cruising the river in Strasbourg, and it really is beautiful. Cruising is also lovely. I love that place but i stayed only for 5 days and can only roam around after 5pm. There are many spots which i wasnt able to see in that short time.

VP said...

I like the building but about the Parliament itself I can't say much of good. It's only another layer of bureaucracy imposed on our existing ones, which are already impressive...

Brenda said...

Wow what a impressive building. Thanks for sharing.

Pondside said...

Strasbourg is one of my favorite cities. For some years I lived close enough - just across the Rhine - to go there to do my weekly shopping or just to meet a friend for coffee. It all seems so long ago - a city that was familiar enough to me that I knew the best hidden parking spots close to downtown - I miss it!

Pat Tillett said...

Very nice!
I wonder what it looks like after dark...

Jenny said...

What an interesting Alphabe-Thursday link to what is obviously iconic architecture.

I am always fascinated how minds can conceive a 3-dimensional object with such interest and beauty.

Fascinating stop this week.

Thank you for linking.

A+

Anonymous said...

interesting and impressive :)