November 30, 2010

[MyWorld] An Evening of Macau

Macau, a small peninsula on the west side of the Pearl River bordering Guangdong Province, became a colony of Portugal sometime in the 16th century. In 1999 it was handed back to China and, like Hong Kong, it is now a Special Administrative Region, meaning it has substantially kept the pre-handover laws and systems. Its main source of income is gambling and this year it raked in four times as much as Las Vegas. 

It was a bit of a jolt to realize that I have not been back to Macau since the handover. My hubby no longer has family in his home village not far over the border, and not being gamblers, we've not given any thought to going back -- until two weeks ago when I went to a special Macau marketing event and rediscovered that, beyond gambling, it could be an enjoyable place to spend a few days.  I'll let you know when I do.

But this post is about a fun evening of being wined and dined while shown the attractions of Macau. The event - which was a plug for corporate convention spaces - was well-organized, from the warm welcome to the interesting presentation (seen in my photo through a mirror), the live classical music played during dinner and the singers after. And in the Philippines, no affair would be complete without a raffle, and this night, the luckiest winners won a fully paid trip for two in their choice of one of two of the best hotels in Macau.

 
 
 
 
 Manila, 2010

And that is how I am entertained in my world. So this post I link with MyWorld Tuesday, where others also share their stories.

13 comments:

Andrea said...

Hi Francisca, very colorful photos of a colorful world in a colorful life by a colorful person. You are so diligent in posting.

Kay L. Davies said...

What a wonderful evening for you, Francisca, if only for the photo opportunities. Fascinating from a western Canadian point of view! I look forward to your posts.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Sylvia K said...

How fun, Francisca! Love your photos and it does look like a really fun time -- if only for the photo op!! Hope your week is off to a great start! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Thanks for your comments. Regarding the murals, our thoughts are flowing in the same direction. I thought that taking a page from Ciel's Wednesday Door posts, I might start a Monday Murals post, since Oakland is so rich in murals. Not a meme mind you--don't have the technical know how for that--just my own little tradition. Thoughts?

Pat Tillett said...

Very nice!
I love your photo tours!

cieldequimper said...

What I would call Macao. I did not know about the gambling though. Yuck but I guess it's just another way of making a living.

Kaori said...

Macao looks like a very entertaining place, Francisca! I love watching shows :-D

EG CameraGirl said...

What an exciting world you live in, Francesca! I hope you DO go back to Macau and then tell us all about it!

Christine said...

Even though I don't comment often, I read your posts with enthusiasm and love your photos. Especially these colorful beauties!

Unknown said...

I am very intrigued by the traditional(?) outfits. The scarfs on the ladies heads look portuguese but that's about it...

Lowell said...

I've always wanted to visit Macau because I've heard it's rather wild and wide-open and crazy fun. Now you've whetted my desire even more. Thanks a lot! ;-)

It certainly appears you had a great time!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Such beautiful bright costumes. Sounds like a fun evening and must have made you want to go back for a visit.

Anonymous said...

А! Buona giornata DYNAMITE mio amico!