November 8, 2010

Autumn Gold

The Kansai region of Japan may be more famous for its pink cherry blossoms in spring and red maple leaves in fall, and no one could possibly deny their stunning beauty. But I fell in love with the golden ginkgo tree.

 Osaka, 2009

The botanical name of this tree is ginkgo biloba. It is a unique species of tree with no close existing relatives, and but for a few possible locations in eastern China, it does not grow in the wild; it is an entirely cultivated tree. And yet it may be one of the oldest species of trees on earth. 

If you suffer from lapses of memory like I do, they say the extract of the nuts and leaves of ginkgo can help restore your powers of concentration. I've bought it before, but I never remember to take it.  In concentrated form ginkgo is also used to help people (yeah, me too) with blood circulatory issues.


Whatever its benefits, I just find it a beautiful tree with unique shaped leaves. This is the kind of gold I can get attached to.

I'm linking with the blogging communities at Mellow Yellow Monday and Mosaic Monday.

22 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

Just lovely!

Mellow Yellow

Lana G! said...

Love the color!

Kim, USA said...

I love to plant these tree it's beautiful!
At the store

tapirgal said...

I may have a golden tree for tomorrow, so these photos caught me in the right mood :) Ginkgo was one of the first tree species I learned, because there was at least one our street, and I've always been attracted to the ancient life forms. As far as medicinal use, someone I was once very close to was helped tremendously with a concentration problem that would have needed strong medication if it weren't for the ginkgo he started taking. It was a wonder!

Anja said...

Me too, that's the sign we are getting wiser ;-)) I love these mosaics with its golden colors. Have a nice week!

Kay L. Davies said...

There you go, beautiful and healthy, too, if you could only remember. LOL
Beautiful photos, Francisca.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

cieldequimper said...

'Tis such a short season, we have to make the most of it... Gorgeous warm yellow.

Cildemer said...

Love the particular shape of ginkgo biloba leaves. And they are still more beautiful with their autumn colour!

***
Thanks for sharing****

Rettabug said...

Achingly beautiful shots of blue & yellow, Francisca! I'd heard of ginko biloba before but I had never seen the tree...stunning color!

Erika B said...

Beautiful and just perfect for both mellow yellow and mosaic monday.

Erika B

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

A beautiful mosaic. The gingko turns a beautiful yellow colour here in fall also.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Ghinko trees are very lovely...Thanks for sharing your beautiful images!!!

Snap said...

The gingko is just beautiful. Gorgeous walk! Stunning color.

Kaori said...

So that's why so many people look for the ginkgo nuts in parks! We had these all along our main street in college, too! Wonderfully informative post, Francisca :-D

☆Mama Ko☆ said...

i so love the color of autumn

Have some snackerz for MYM

Ingmarie We said...

A lovely mosaic and beautiful photos.
I just love the colour of the beautiful gingko.

Mary said...

Oh what beautiful images especially the avenue of trees lining the road with their golden carpet! thanks for sharing your talent at MM> :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful trees for sure. When I saw the name of it, I immediately thought I'd write a joke about forgetting what it was that I used to know about gingko but you covered it in your post!

Serioulsly, Maybe you could post the picture on your frig and it would remind you in a pleasant way.

Custom Comforts said...

Beautiful photos! Such vivid colors ~ it's getting more drab here every day. Thanks for sharing your color. It brightens my day.
Cindy

Evelyn S. said...

What a beautiful tree....to me, it's the most beautiful of all leaves! I've seen green ones but never gold.

Unknown said...

Golden... and beautiful!

gemini said...

Amazing colors, and wishing am there playing with the falling leaves.