July 23, 2010

[SkyWatch] Unnerving Gray Skies

On a beautiful summer day last July we left the main coast of Palawan just north of its capital Puerto Princesa on a small banca (wood and bamboo outrigger) to go island hopping in Honda Bay. Within about 20 minutes we saw ominous gray clouds fast rolling in towards us. By then we were in the middle of the water, far from any shore, and not long after the rains bursting out of the clouds ahead of us were plain to see:

Honda Bay, Philippines, 2009

As we glided on, we got closer to the rain...


...and my friends - who are neither as adventurous nor as strong swimmers as my honey and me - were getting visibly unnerved as the water got more turbulent and the banca swayed with the waves.


So we stopped at the first island to wait out any danger in these nipa beach huts. Even with this gray sky and the intermittent downpours, the sun did occasionally peak through and I relished being in this tropical paradise:

 Starfish Island, Honda Bay, 2009

Our Pinoy friends were incredulous that we went snorkeling in the rain:


Fortunately, it did not take long before the darkest clouds moved on and before leaving the island I still walked to the end of the beach and the mangrove, with my camera, of course:


Despite a few raindrops, the ride back to the main shore was much calmer, and so were my friends.


This blog joins the meme SkyWatch Friday and by clicking on the link you'll find links to many more amazing skies from all over the planet. Clicking on my photos will give you a larger view of them.

10 comments:

Halcyon said...

Wow! That is a paradise!!! A deserted island all to yourselves and a fun adventure with just the right amount of "danger". Sounds like it must have been a good day.

Happy Friday!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Francisca: What a wonderful place in which you live even with cloudy skies.

Dewdrop said...

Awesome skies! Great perspective! Love the precipitation shaft from the one cloud. Awesome!

Kaori said...

I'd be a little nervous, too! But the photos you took are gorgeous. Especially like the huts :D

Tara said...

Yeah, I'm from PI and I love to travel the islands. I've been onto those outriggers a lot of times and so I know how nervous your friends (new to that seacraft and all)would be. :) I'm happy to know you're enjoying it there.

Anonymous said...

Oh My what a gorgeous place & great shots - I love the color of the water... cool sky shots, too!!!

Benita said...

Great photos!

tapirgal said...

We had an experience almost like that in Belize, but with a big motor in the small boat. I loved it, but didn't get as many great photos. That was the snorkeling trip where I saw a spotted eagle ray.

Anonymous said...

I came and looked!...:)
I know grey skies can be impressive i have pics to proove!....:)

the scene you set here says more than the pics, but we get the feeling, the experience of angry sky and the resulting weather below only adds to our life!..... thanks for a piece of your life and your visit!....:)

Unknown said...

I would have loved doing this tour! The boat is so cool!