December 19, 2011

Monday Mural III - Reposo I

Today's mural could start a sub-series under the heading Monday Mural that I will name Reposo

I have in my photo archives a good number of interesting outdoor wall paintings that were created as part of an annual art and culture festival in Manila. For the past seven years the art party has been held the last weekend of May on what was formerly called Reposo Street. I've attended the street party twice, in 2006 and 2008. (If you're in Manila, go check out the street and the art and lifestyle studios in the LRI building.)

Besides the painting of a wide range of murals on a long wall by well-known as well as not-so-known Filipino artists, the festival offers a full schedule of live performances (singers, dancers, story-tellers), an arts/crafts/food bazaar, body painting for children, portraiture, movie screenings, lectures on art and culture, and much more.

Two 2006 murals by the celebrated artist Egai Fernandez are the first I will showcase. 

In this first image you can see Egai at work on one of his murals, as well as a part of the long wall used for the event.

Manila, 2006

Egai describes himself as "A Filipino Social Realist Artist. Who's hands and art are dedicated to art and placing the word 'fine' in it."

Here is a second mural he was nearly finished painting, one I particularly like.


And finally a charming smile from the artist.



None have committed to post a weekly linky, but there are a few of us playing with Monday Murals. Find more murals here, here and here.

15 comments:

VioletSky said...

It is an extra bonus to get that charming smile from the artist!
Mine mural is up.

cieldequimper said...

Charming? That's an understatement! And yes, he's very good, I love those bright and cheery colours!

Ricardo Miñana said...

Very beautiful pictures,
These days I wish peace and happiness come to your house.
Happy Holidays!.
a hug.

joo said...

I love the first one! It's really fascinating piece of street art!
I wanted to join, but guess what - I forget!!!! It's ageing:)
By the way, you're right, I was in England at the beginning of December.
Have a nice week ahead!
j.

Maude Lynn said...

These are marvelous!

Simon said...

I love that 2nd one as well, but the perspective in the first, seeing all the art is great. I did stop by your mural friends and may just post a mural of my own today. You've inspired.

Kay L. Davies said...

The figure on the right in the second painting is particularly fine.
And the artist does have a great smile!
K

Lowell said...

Now, this wall and these murals I do like...it must be nice for an artist to have such a large, and public, and legal venue!

Oakland Daily Photo said...

The styles in the two murals seem so different, it's surprising they're from the same hand. It'll be fun to see your Reposo series unfold.

Andrea said...

These are great, i am glad that our mural artists found someone like you, not only for appreciating but also for telling the world we have good people like them. Thanks so much for that Francisca.

Unknown said...

Great works! I like how you composed the top shot.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing mural. He's very gifted!

tapirgal said...

It's so nice to have captured the artist as well as the art! It would be fun to take part in Monday Murals. I'll try putting some of mine aside as I find them. At the moment it would be hard to locate them on demand in my files. . . .

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's great to see the artist at work and then looking (justifiably) proud of his work. A very fun post.

Kaori said...

I'm trying to look at the murals but the artist's lovely smile is distracting me! Beautiful work.